Roselle, Hibiscus sabdariffa L, has a long tradition of use as a health-supporting drink and food ingredient, and is well known and widely used around the planet. Thailand is know for superior quality roselle. We start with the high quality Hibiscus sabdariffa that grows and is processed fresh at our doorstep. Roselle is not a fruit or a flower. The edible parts used to make the juice or tea are the “calyces,” the red fleshy sepals that cover and enclose the flower’s seed pods.
Roselle is a good source of nutrients, vitamins and minerals. Consuming 100 grams of raw roselle offers 215 mg of Calcium, 1.48 mg of Iron, 12 mg of Vitamin C, 51 mg of Magnesium, 6.0 g of Carbohydrate, 37 mg of Phosphorus, 208 mg of Potassium, as well as Vitamin A, of Vitamin B1, ,B2 and B3. The flowers are a rich source of anthocyanin (antioxidants) and protocatechuic acid (“PCA”). Let’s look not only at what roselle provides, but just as important, what it lacks. Nutritional facts disclose very low levels of fat, sugar, sodium and carbs.
PCA in roselle has a three major functions that effect the human body. It has been shown to be Anti-Bacterial,Antioxidant / Anti-Inflammatory and Anti-tumorous. The natural functions that roselle has, besides PCA , makes it a power house of longevity foods in the world. It has use in helping with weight management, blood pressure, diabetes, skin care, immunity, sex drive and so much more that can be found in the brief in the link below.
Anti-Bacterial: PCA has been shown to treat malignant bacterial effected cells taken from human oral cavities. In another study the anti-bacterial effects of PCA derived from roselle effectively inhibited the growth of bacteria in humans and it was concluded that PCA specifically from roselle may be useful in clinical infection prevention and therapy.
Antioxidant / Anti-Inflammatory: PCA is a strong antioxidant and anti-inflammatory in general and specifically associated with liver protection. Higher concentration in the color of the red flavonoid pigments in the anthocyanins was shown to have a direct relationship to the antioxidant effects. Under less ideal processing temperatures and storage conditions the anthocyanin content declines. This validates the strong advantage achieved by Thai Freeze Dry’s proprietary Cellular Fraction-Line Technology . This process is a key factor in delivering high quality premium freeze dried roselle powder.
Anti-tumor: PCA was found to increase proliferation and inhibit apoptosis of neural stem cells and was found to induce cell death of human leukemia cells. In a laboratory model using HL-60 leukemia cells, PCA was shown to prevent damage to genetic information that could potentially lead to cancer, help destroy existing tumors and PCA was found to inhibit the growth of lung cancer cells . PCA contained in Hibiscus sabdariffa may induce cell death (apoptosis) in human leukemia cells and induce apoptosis in human gastric carcinoma cells to help fight stomach cancer.
- With Thai Freeze Dry’s roselle powder we have eliminated the water which is approximately 85% of the total weight. It is, thereby, naturally concentrated six to seven times. Roselle tea is a mild infusion. You drink the mild infusion and throw the flower (calyse) away. In the case of our roselle powder you are actually drinking the entire calyse. All benefits, nutritional and otherwise are highly concentrated.
- Hibiscus is used as an offering to the Goddess Kali and Lord Ganesha in Hindu worship. The red hibiscus flower is said to incite passion and attract love. Hawaiian women wear a single hibiscus behind the right ear to indicate availability. Egyptian women have been banned from drinking roselle tea because it is said to act as an aphrodisiac and induce lust. Hibiscus is used in incense mixtures to assist divination and clairvoyance and when the pedals are floated on water in a wooden bowl the result is sacred and used to attract good Spirits.
- The high vitamin C content in roselle can be an adjunctive therapy when combined with conventional treatments. Among the long list of benefits of Vitamin C, it may help to boost immunity and improve blood flow.
- Roselle may help your body to break down your food and decrease absorption of carbohydrates. Roselle has been shown to decrease the synthesis of amylase, an enzyme that speeds up the chemical breakdown of starch into sugars as well as boosts your metabolism allowing you to burn more calories faster .
- Antioxidant rich roselle can help to keep your skin looking youthful. Hibiscus sabdariffa is a natural source of alpha hydroxyl acid (AHA) used in anti-aging products. In addition, the muscle tightening effect Hibiscus sabdariffa helps smooth fine lines and wrin- kles naturally while it strengthens skin cells.
- Potassium helps to control electrical activity of muscles including the heart and regulation of our body fluids (including water balance). Health benefits include relief from high blood pressure, stoke and other heart disorders as well as regulation of blood sugar levels. Potassium supports kidney functions, and helps to relieve anxiety and stress. It also enhances muscle strength, brain function and supports the nervous system.
To learn more about Roselle, please click the links below